Job Opening - Public Works Maintenance Tech I / II
Please visit our Employment Opportunities page on the website and complete and employment applications. Please forward your application to City Administrator James W. Knowles III at firstname.lastname@example.org. The position is open until filled. First review of the applications will be on January 3rd, 2023. See below for more details on the position.
City of Dardenne Prairie Missouri
Public Works Maintenance Tech I / II
Division: Public Works
Date: November 29th, 2022
Hours: 40 hours per week Min Pay: $17.72 / $19.32/hr
Reports to: Public Works Supervisor Grade: 106/107
This position is the core of the city Public Works Department and is responsible for general maintenance of all city buildings, grounds, infrastructure, facilities, and equipment. The Dardenne Prairie Public Works Department maintains approximately 130 lane miles of streets, City Hall, a new Athletic Complex, four parks, and a maintenance facility.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS & DUTIES
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Performs general upkeep and preventative maintenance of municipal buildings, grounds, streets, and equipment.
- Prepares fields for sporting events; prepares facilities for special programs and events.
- Basic cleaning of city facilities, restrooms, parks, etc..
- Trims and prunes trees and shrubs; weeds and mulches flower beds. Mows fields and city right of ways
- Assist in basic repair and maintenance of city streets, buildings, structures, and stormwater facilities.
- Assists in the maintenance of city vehicles and equipment; perform basic maintenance to vehicles and equipment if needed and troubleshoot as needed, ensure preventative maintenance is performed and proper cleaning of vehicles and equipment is complete on schedule as needed
- Performs related work as required
- Assists City staff with various project and performs other duties as assigned
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS FOR THE POSITION:
- Knowledge of the methods, materials, tools, and equipment utilized in building and grounds maintenance
- Knowledge of athletic field maintenance and preparation.
- Knowledge of basic street repair, asphalt patching, basic flatwork.
- Knowledge of basic vehicle and/or small engine repair/maintenance
- Knowledge of basic landscape and tree maintenance
- Ability to multi-task with numerous interruptions and distractions.
SUPERVISORY CONTROLS: The Public Works Supervisor assigns work or provides general instructions on tasks; other city personnel may request assistance with tasks and projects from time to time. The supervisor spot-checks completed work for compliance with instructions and procedures, accuracy, and the nature and propriety of the final results.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Frequent physical demands including walking, standing, kneeling, heavy lifting, and carrying. Occasional climbing, balancing such as ladder work. Dexterity vital for operation of hand and power tools and equipment.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work is typically performed both indoors and outdoors.
Work may involve heavy physical labor, lifting up to 50 pounds, working in cramped and confined areas, exposure to the dangers related to the use of ladders, motorized groundskeeping equipment, power tools, and equipment, noxious chemicals.
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY: None
- Ability to read, write and perform mathematical calculations at a level commonly associated with the completion of high school education or equivalent.
- Completion of an associate’s degree program and/or technical/specialized training program is preferred.
- Five years of progressively responsible experience in the maintenance of public facilities, streets, parks grounds, or other applicable infrastructure. Experience or knowledge of the maintenance and management of vehicle fleets, tractors, snow removal equipment, etc. or any combination of training and experience that would provide the desired knowledge, skills, and abilities.