Job Opening - Public Works Supervisor
The City of Dardenne Prairie is looking for an experienced Public Works Supervisor to lead our newly formed Public Works Department. The Department is a reorganization of our city's Park and Facilities Maintenance staff. There are three (3) FTEs and 1 Part-time Seasonal reports, with several maintenance contracts to manage. The position is a salaried (exempt) position. Please complete visit our Employment Opportunities page on the website and complete and employment applications. Please forward your application to City Administrator James W. Knowles III at firstname.lastname@example.org. The position is open until filled. First review of the applications will be on April 11th. See below for more details on the position.
Public Works Supervisor
Division: Public Works
Date: March 15th, 2022
Hours: 40 hours per week – Exempt Salary: $54,063 min
Reports to: City Administrator Grade: 110
This position is responsible for providing working oversight of the City’s Public Works activities, direct supervision of the Public Works maintenance staff, management of the city’s street maintenance contract with St. Charles County Highway Department, and general office management duties as well as assist with labor in the field as necessary.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS & DUTIES
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Plans, organizes, and directs activities associated with the general upkeep and preventative maintenance of municipal buildings, grounds, streets, and equipment.
- Evaluates and reports the needs for new structures, major repairs, modifications, and upgrades of all municipal facilities and grounds.
- Plans, implements, and oversees municipal construction projects as needed.
- Manages complaint log concerning public works in consultation with the City Engineer.
- Perform or oversee basic building maintenance and grounds tasks in City Parks and other properties owned and/or maintained by the city
- Assures that assigned areas of responsibility are performed within budget; exercises cost control activities to ensure sound fiscal management of all department activities
- Effectively recruit, staff, and supervise, via permanent, temporary, or seasonal City employees or project exclusive contractors, to ensure manpower to complete daily, seasonal, or one-time projects
- Supervises the control of, and is responsible for, all materials and supplies used in the maintenance, construction, and repair of all city facilities and streets
- Oversees maintenance of city vehicles and equipment; perform basic maintenance to vehicles and equipment if needed and trouble shoot as needed, ensure preventative maintenance is performed and proper cleaning of vehicles and equipment is complete on schedule as needed
- Performs related work as required
- Prepare various reports as requested
- Assists City staff with various project and performs other duties as assigned
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS FOR THE POSITION:
- Knowledge of the methods, materials, tools, and equipment utilized in building and grounds maintenance
- Knowledge of the functions of the city and county government.
- Knowledge of modern office practices and procedures.
- Skill in organizing and maintaining electronic and hardcopy records and files.
- Ability to multi-task with numerous interruptions and distractions.
- Skill in operating a multi-line telephone.
- Skill in operating a computer, standard office equipment and software such as Microsoft Office Suite.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
SUPERVISORY CONTROLS: The City Administrator assigns work or provides general instructions on tasks; other city personnel may request assistance with tasks and projects from time to time. The supervisor spot-checks completed work for compliance with instructions and procedures, accuracy, and the nature and propriety of the final results.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Frequent physical demands including walking, standing, kneeling, heavy lifting, and carrying. Occasional climbing, balancing such as ladder work. Dexterity vital for operation of hand and power tools and equipment.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work is typically performed both indoors and outdoors. Indoor work includes sitting at a computer for periods of time as needed to perform essential office work.
Work may involve heavy physical labor, lifting up to 50 pounds, working in cramped and confined areas, exposure to the dangers related to the use of ladders, motorized groundskeeping equipment, power tools, and equipment, noxious chemicals.
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY: Supervise 2 full time employees, one (1) seasonal part-time employee, and manage multiple contractual relationships for service.
- Ability to read, write and perform mathematical calculations at a level commonly associated with the completion of high school education or equivalent.
- Completion of an associate’s degree program and/or technical/specialized training program is preferred.
- Five years of progressively responsible experience in the maintenance of public facilities, streets, parks grounds, or other applicable infrastructure. Experience or knowledge of the maintenance and management of vehicle fleets, tractors, snow removal equipment, etc. or any combination of training and experience that would provide the desired knowledge, skills, and abilities.