SHINE A LIGHT ON CITY GOVERNMENT
Friends & Neighbors,
This is the final Shine a Light Report for 2020. I will summarize the most recent meetings of the Board of Aldermen and Planning Zoning Commission and recap the year in review.
Inverness Phase 2 Approved
The P&Z Commission on 12/9 and the Board on 12/16 approved the Record Plat for phase 2 of the Inverness development. Lots can’t be sold until the Record Plat is filed with the County Recorder of Deeds. That action will take place in January after the developer and the City enter into a deposit agreement guaranteeing street, sidewalk, and storm sewer improvements. The developer is pouring streets and laying storm sewers as weather permits. Many lots in phase 2 are already under contract.
2021 St. Jude Dream Home to be in Inverness
As part of the phase 2 of Inverness, Payne Family Homes will build the 2021 St. Jude Dream Home. For the past seven years, Payne Family Homes has donated materials and services to construct the Dream Home. Proceeds from the sale of raffle tickets to win the Home are donated to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. We look forward to this worthwhile project here in Dardenne Prairie.
Board Adopts Plan of Intent to Annex parcels along Highway N
The Board has adopted resolutions of intent to annex 4 parcels of empty ground along highway N, to the east of Longview Estates. The parcels are un-incorporated St. Charles County. The City’s Comprehensive Plan sees eventual development in the distant future as mixed residential/commercial uses. If some incompatible use were to be approved by St. Charles County, the City’s long term vision would be adversely affected. A public hearing on the proposed annexations will be held in January. If the final ordinances are approved by the Board after the public hearing the matter will be placed on the April 6 ballot.
Contract for Professional Services Authorized
The City will renew a contract for planning and development consultation services with Peckam Gutyon Albers & Viets, Inc. (PGAV). The firm was instrumental in the updating of the City’s Comprehensive Plan.
Sale of City Property on Hubble Drive to be completed in December
The Board took steps at the 12/16 meeting to clear the way for completion of the sale of 3 acres in the industrial section of the City.
Modern audio/visual equipment installed at City Hall
The City obtained some federal funding to install modern audio visual equipment in the Board Chambers and nearby conference room to enable “zoom” type of virtual meetings. Prior to the new equipment we had to rely on a single laptop which was really inadequate for a properly inter-active meeting.
Progress on the Dardenne Prairie Athletic Complex
Two-thirds of the parking lot have been paved. The restroom building is about half done. The steel frame of the maintenance building is up. Dugouts are being poured. The new LED field lights are up. There will also be a digital LED monument sign at the entry plaza. The pickleball courts are behind schedule, but we believe the construction will be completed for a ribbon cutting on April 1.
Projects completed, undertaken in 2020 or soon to start
- Wireless Horizons purchase of the City’s 3 acres in the Hubble industrial park, will close in December and construction to begin in 2021.
- Sunterra Springs – a 38 bed short term physical rehabilitation facility - opened for business in December 2020 and will have a grand opening in January 2021.
- Dragonstone – a 6 custom home subdivision – near Bates and McCluer Roads was begun in 2020 and should be completed in 2021.
- Midwest Wellness – a Wellness and Chiropractic Care Center – was approved in 2020 and will be complete and operating in 2021.
- Ardenne Pointe – a 23 unit subdivision – on Old Hwy N was approved in 2020 and has seen extensive earthmoving prior to the New Year.
- Cordoba – a 62 unit subdivision – off of Bryan and Route 364 was officially ‘sold out’ as of November 2020.
- The Courtyards at Barathaven project for 47 detached villas (next to the community college) was approved in November 2020.
- Bridgewater Homes to build the Dardenne Place Villas – a 15 unit detached villa development – at the Northwest Corner of Hanley and Feise Road. Construction in 2021.
- Inverness Phases 1 and 2 - the 266 unit subdivision - at the Northwest corner Feise and Bryan began extensive building in 2020, with phase 2 being the primary focus of 2021.
- Comprehensive plan adoption in 2020 and future land use initiatives.
- Update on highway projects/plans. The I-64 and Route 364 access projects experienced some setbacks in 2020 due to opposition by the Federal Highway Administration and MoDOT. We are not ready to give up!
- The City will undertake improvements to Stump Road and Hanley Road, to widen the roadway and add sidewalks, curbs, gutters and storm sewers.
- Highway N west of Bryan Road to I-64 was renamed “Town Square Avenue” to help the general public to associate that street with Town Square Shopping Center.
- St. Charles County built and opened the nation’s largest BMX Pump track at the Youth Activity Park in Dardenne Prairie at 7801 Town Square Avenue.
Several new businesses joined our community in 2020
- Dialed Scooters & BMX
- American Shaman
- Crown Exteriors and Restorations
- Peggy O’Neal’s Home Décor and Consignment
- Wireless Horizons
- A&J Wholesale
- Indian Aroma
- T-Mobile Wireless
- Innovare Health Advocates (SSM subsidiary)
Parks and Recreation Events Scheduled for 2021
- Easter Egg Hunt and Earth Day Festival – April 3
- Mission Clean Stream – April 10
- Summer Concert and Food Truck Events:
- Rhonda Vincent and the Rage Concert – May 20 (This will be a ticketed event. Bring chairs but no coolers)
- Dr. Zhivegas – May 21
- Plastic Kings – June 18
- Queens Blvd – July 16
- Trixie Delight - August 20
- Prairie Day – September 11
- Senior Programs
- Lunches to resume in April
- Trips to resume in March
- Youth Sports
- Baseball and Softball registration currently underway. Deadline to register is February 16
- CORE Soccer Training Programs. Partnered with former USA Olympic Soccer Goalie Jamie Swanner begin in January
- Adult Sports
- Pickleball Clinics – Begin in April
- Pickleball Leagues - Began in May
- Cornhole Tournaments- Begin in May
- Kickball Leagues – Begin in June
- Pickleball Tournaments – Begin in July
- Baseball and Softball Tournaments
- Will be hosting 4 tournaments in 2021
Municipal Elections, Tuesday April 6, 2021
One Alderman from each of 3 wards will be up for election or re-election in April. I have filed for re-election as your Mayor. I would like very much to see to the completion of our Athletic Complex construction and to the several road improvement projects that have been the subject of many reports to you over the past 5 years.
Thanks to the Dardenne Prairie Board of Aldermen, Planning & Zoning Commission and City Hall Staff
This year has been quite a challenge because of Covid 19 and because we have undertaken major projects for the betterment of the City. I extend my gratitude to the Aldermen, Commissioners and Staff for their dedication to the Dardenne Prairie Community.
Blessings of the Season to One and All
Happy Hannukah, (just past), Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year to all.
“Shine a Light on City Government”DAVID C. ZUCKER
City of Dardenne Prairie, MO